Jun 28, 2022
The Samson College of Health Sciences provides six educational options. The mission of the Samson College of Health Sciences at USciences is to:
- Ensure high quality standards in educational programs.
- Develop faculty expertise and excellence in areas of teaching, research and/or scholarly activities, and service.
- Assist students in acquiring the scientific and technological knowledge, competencies, and skills required for successful practice and advancement in their chosen profession.
- Provide an education that prepares students intellectually, culturally, and ethically for their professional and personal lives.
- Create an environment that fosters student-centered learning and living, as well as respect for individuals from diverse cultures.
- Cultivate a commitment to service for professionals and the community.
- Develop new academic programs consistent with the University’s vision.
- Continually improve student learning and program quality through systematic assessment and quality improvements.
- Create, implement, and promote programs and treatments that maximize individual function in daily life.
- Create and disseminate new knowledge and skills in selected areas of inquiry in the health sciences.
The Samson College of Health Sciences educational options are:
- BSHS in Exercise Science and Wellness Management—This bachelor’s degree program combines a foundation in natural and social sciences with concentration on exercise as a science and management of an individual’s total wellness.
- BS in Health Science—The bachelor’s degree in health science has two purposes: to offer an opportunity for students to gain knowledge and skills in a chosen aspect of healthcare and to serve as the academic foundation for occupational therapy, physical therapy, and physician assistant studies or other health profession programs.
- Occupational Therapy—This is a six-year program, which provides an accelerated pathway via a bachelor’s degree in health sciences (BSHS) into the clinical doctorate of occupational therapy (DrOT). Those students who hold a baccalaureate degree may enter into the four-year DrOT program or into the 2 1/2–year MOT program.
- Physical Therapy—This six-year program of study leads to a bachelor’s degree in health science and a clinical doctorate in physical therapy (DPT). A three-year program is also offered for individuals with bachelor’s degrees who enroll in the DPT program.
- Physician Assistant Studies Undergraduate—This program is offered collaboratively with the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM) and the graduate professional physician assistant program at University of the Sciences. USciences offers a pre-professional phase of three years, leading to a bachelor’s degree in health science. Further study at PCOM or in the USciences graduate professional program leads to an MS in physician assistant studies.
- Graduate Professional Physician Assistant Program—This three-year program offers a master’s degree in physician assistant studies (MSPAS).