Jun 28, 2022  
2014-2015 University Catalog 
2014-2015 University Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Registration and Student Records

Click on a link to be taken to the entry below.


Transfer Credit

  ^ TOP

Recognizing that students often study at more than one college, transfer credit may be awarded for courses completed at another accredited institution. Credit may be granted for courses taken prior to matriculation at the University. After matriculation, doctor of pharmacy students must take all first- and second-year required courses at USciences. Upon progression into their first professional year, doctor of pharmacy students may take elective courses at other institutions and transfer in credit with the prior approval of the program director and chair of the teaching department. All College of Pharmacy professional courses (courses with prefixes PA, PC, PH, and PP) must be taken at USciences. Students in other programs may take courses at other institutions and transfer in credit with the prior approval of their department chair or program director and the approval of the teaching departments. The course must be comparable in content and depth to a course offered at the University.

Transfer credit will only be awarded for a course in which a grade of “C” or greater has been achieved after submission of an official transcript.

Transfer credits awarded will be entered on the student’s record and transcript with the source and number of credits granted. No grade will be entered on the USciences transcript for transfer credit; the GPA will reflect only courses completed at University of the Sciences.

The following regulations apply to transfer credit:

  • Students who matriculate into USciences with an earned baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution recognized by USciences will be approved as fulfilling the General Education requirements of USciences. An official transcript from the institution that conferred the degree is required.
  • A course approved for transfer will be awarded the same number of credits and fulfill the same General Education requirements (e.g., Disciplines, Electives, Skills) as the comparable course at USciences.
  • Advanced Placement (AP) course and International Baccalaureate (IB) course credits will be awarded the same number of credits and fulfill the same General Education requirements (e.g., Disciplines, Electives, Skills) as the comparable course at USciences.

Students matriculating at USciences in the third year or above in fall 2009 and thereafter, may substitute 6 credits of humanities and/or social science for Intellectual Heritage courses in fulfillment of the multidisciplinary inquiry discipline of General Education.

Advanced Placement Program (AP)

  ^ TOP

Students may qualify for advanced standing through the College Board’s Advanced Placement program. Official AP scores are sent from the College Board to the University of the Sciences Admission Office so they may be considered for advanced credit. To receive credit, the student must submit a completed Advanced Placement/International Baccalaureate (AP/IB) Action Form, with the signature of the student’s advisor, to the Registrar’s Office prior to the end of the last day of the drop/add period of the first semester of enrollment at University of the Sciences. The teaching department will determine the comparable USciences course.

Advanced Placement Course AP Exam Score
Art History 4,5
Biology* 4,5
Calculus AB/BC# 4,5
Chemistry# 4,5
Chinese Language & Culture 4,5
Computer Science A 4,5
Computer Science AB 4,5
Comparative Government & Politics 4,5
Environmental Science+ 4,5
European History 4,5
French Language 4,5
French Literature 4,5
German Language 4,5
Human Geography 4,5
Italian Language & Culture 4,5
Japanese Language & Culture 4,5
Latin – Literature 4,5
Latin – Virgil 4,5
Microeconomics 4,5
Macroeconomics 4,5
Music Theory 4,5
Physics B^ 4,5
Physics C^ 4,5
Psychology 4,5
Spanish Language 4,5
Spanish Literature 4,5
Studio Art Portfolio 4,5
U.S. Government & Politics 4,5
U.S. History 4,5
World History 4,5

University of the Sciences does not award college credit for AP statistics.

* Biology, Environmental Science, Microbiology, and Pharmacy majors require a score of 5 to receive AP credit.
# Pharmacy majors require a score of 5 to receive AP credit.
^ Physics and Pharmacy majors are not eligible to receive college credit for AP physics courses.
+ Environment Science majors are not eligible to receive college credit for AP environmental science (beginning with 2012 incoming class)

Implementation: students entering the University in fall 2010 and thereafter

International Baccalaureate (IB) Programme

  ^ TOP

Students may qualify for advanced standing through the International Baccalaureate Programme (IB). IB examination results will be evaluated on a course-by-course basis. To receive credit, the student must submit a completed Advanced Placement/International Baccalaureate (AP/IB) Action Form, with the signature of the student’s advisor, to the Registrar’s Office prior to the end of the last day of the drop/add period of the first semester of enrollment at University of the Sciences.

  • Science and mathematics courses: credit awarded with IB examination score of 6 or7
  • Non-science courses: credit awards with IB examination scores of 5, 6, or 7

Implementation: students entering the University in fall 2010 and thereafter

College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)

  ^ TOP

The College-Level Examination Program (CLEP), administered by the College Board, is the most widely accepted credit-by-examination program in the United States. The CLEP examinations measure mastery of college-level introductory course content. Credit for CLEP is awarded for examinations in the subject areas of business, composition and literature, foreign languages, and history and social sciences. A minimum score of 50 must be achieved on any individual subject test in order to receive credit. Examinations are scored on a scale of 20 to 80 with a 50 score being equivalent to a grade of “C.” Three credits will be awarded for each subject test with a score of 50 or more. Credit will not be awarded for science and mathematics subject tests. Only official score reports from the College Board sent directly to the Registrar’s Office will be used to document CLEP results. CLEP scores must be completed and received no later than the end of the drop/add period of the first semester of the last year of didactic work.

Partnership Courses for General Education Requirements

  ^ TOP

A course taken at an institution with which USciences has established an approved academic partnership may be used to meet the General Education requirements at USciences. The chair (or designee) of the USciences teaching department will determine if a given partnership course is comparable to a particular USciences course. The approved partnership course will fulfill the same General Education requirements (e.g., Disciplines, Electives, Skills) as the comparable course at USciences.  The approval will be communicated to the Registrar’s Office from the chair or designee of the USciences teaching department.

Cooperative Program Articulation Agreements and General Education Requirements

  ^ TOP
  • Students admitted to USciences professional programs under Cooperative Program articulation agreements will be considered to have satisfied the USciences General Education requirements provided they have submitted official documentation of general education requirements completion at the sending institution prior to the awarding of their professional degree.
  • The student’s completion of the general education requirement will be reflected in a notation on their USciences degree audit.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) Policy

  ^ TOP

Access to Education Records

Annual Notice to Students

University of the Sciences fully complies with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974, as amended. This law is sometimes referred to as the Buckley Amendment.

The act grants students specific rights and protections with regard to their education records. It governs access to, release of, and corrections to the records kept by the University on current and former students. These rights do not extend to individuals who never actually attend the University.

Students wishing to review or correct their education records should submit a written request to the registrar indicating which records they wish to review or what corrections they believe are necessary. If the records in question are not in the control of the registrar, the request will be forwarded to the appropriate University official. While prompt attention is given to all such requests, the University reserves the right to respond no later than 45 days after receiving a request.

Education records are available to University officials and agents with legitimate educational interest. Such interest exists when access to the records is necessary for the official or agent to perform his/her professional duties. An agent may include a person or company (including contractors and consultants) with whom the University has contracted to provide a service that the University would otherwise perform and may include a communication and data service, an attorney, an auditor, a collection agent, etc. This also may include officials at other educational institutions with which USciences has a partnership agreement for student enrollment. Personally identifiable information from students’ education records is only released, other than to University officials and agents, upon a specific written and dated request from the student or as provided for by federal or state law.

As of January 3, 2012, the U.S. Department of Education’s FERPA regulations expand the circumstances under which a student’s education records and personally identifiable information (private information) contained in such records—including Social Security number, grades, or other private information—may be accessed without the student’s consent. First, the U.S. Comptroller General, the U.S. Attorney General, the U.S. Secretary of Education, or state and local education authorities (“Federal and State Authorities”) may allow access to a student’s records and private information without the student’s consent to any third party designated by a Federal or State Authority to evaluate a federal- or state-supported education program. The evaluation may relate to any program that is “principally engaged in the provision of education,” such as early childhood education and job training, as well as any program that is administered by an education agency or institution. Second, Federal and State Authorities may allow access to a student’s education records and private information without the student’s consent to researchers performing certain types of studies, in certain cases even when the University objects to or does not request such research. Federal and State Authorities must obtain certain use-restriction and data security promises from the entities that they authorize to receive a student’s personally identifiable information, but the Authorities need not maintain direct control over such entities. In addition, in connection with Statewide Longitudinal Data Systems, State Authorities may collect, compile, permanently retain, and share without the student’s consent private information from education records, and they may track a student’s participation in education and other programs by linking such private information to other personal information about the student that they obtain from other federal or state data sources, including workforce development, unemployment insurance, child welfare, juvenile justice, military service, and migrant student records systems.

The following information related to a student is considered “Directory Information,” and the University reserves the right to disclose it to anyone inquiring without the student’s written consent, unless the student, during the drop/add period each semester, informs the registrar in writing that any or all such information about him/her is not to be released: the student’s name, address, e-mail address, telephone number, date and place of birth, major field of study, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, dates of attendance, enrollment status, degrees and awards received, photograph, class level, undergraduate/graduate.

A copy of the University’s policy in compliance with FERPA can be obtained upon request from the registrar’s Office. All questions regarding FERPA should be directed to the Registrar. Information is also available from, and students have a right to file a complaint regarding compliance with, the Family Policy Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Avenue, SW, Washington, DC 20202-5920.

Enrolling in Courses

  ^ TOP


Registration is conducted for all students (with the exception of those entering their first semester at the University) twice during each academic year: beginning the month of April for the summer sessions and fall semester and beginning the month of November for the spring semester. The April and November registration dates are listed each year in the Academic Calendar. The most updated version of the schedule of classes is available on WebAdvisor at https://webad.usciences.edu. First- and second-year students are required to obtain approval of their advisor prior to registration. Students may register online through WebAdvisor.

Administrative Holds

A student may be kept from registering for classes, dropping or adding courses, attending classes, receiving grades, official transcripts, participating in commencement or graduating if the student has not complied with any University requirement.

Administrative holds include conduct, health, library, registrar’s, dean’s, and financial holds. If left unresolved, a hold will result in administrative withdrawal.

Students may be informed of an administrative hold by the appropriate administrative unit. The dean of the student’s college will maintain a record of administrative holds and their resolution by the return to good standing or administrative withdrawal.

Dropping/Adding Courses

Students may drop and/or add courses only during the period designated for that purpose as listed in the Academic Calendar.

Drop/add registration changes must be completed by the student within the designated drop/add period. First- and second-year students are required to obtain approval of their advisor prior to dropping or adding courses; upperclass students are encouraged to consult their advisor regarding course deletions and/or additions. All changes will be made on a space-available basis. Students may make registration changes online during the drop/add period through WebAdvisor at https://webad.usciences.edu or by submitting drop/add forms to the Registrar’s Office.

Note: For first- and second-year students a change in lecture, laboratory, or recitation section in a course for which the student is officially registered may be transacted at the student’s request by the registrar. Permission from the instructor may be necessary for section changes in some courses. This transaction must occur during the drop/add period.

Course Withdrawal

Students are permitted to withdraw officially from a course after the drop/add period but before completion of the eighth week of a 15-week semester (or an equivalent period in a shorter term). A doctor of pharmacy student may not withdraw from an Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experience (APPE) course except for an approved Leave of Absence (LOA). To withdraw officially from a course, the student must submit to the Registrar’s Office a completed Request for Course Withdrawal form that includes the signatures of the course instructor and the department chair or program director. First- and second-year students are required to obtain the signature of their advisor on withdrawal forms. The student must discuss the withdrawal with the course instructor, advisor, and department chair. (Third-year and above students do not require an advisor’s signature, but they are strongly encouraged to consult their advisor regarding course deletions and/or additions since withdrawal can impact both financial aid and progress in the program.) The designation “W” (for withdrew; no point value; not included in calculation of the GPA) will be assigned after completion of the official withdrawal from a course. Except in special circumstances as determined in consultation with the department chair, program director, or college dean with jurisdiction over the student’s major program of study, a student may not withdraw officially after the eighth week of a semester. Special circumstances for a late course withdrawal may include accident, injury, illness requiring hospitalization, or distress from bereavement. This is intended as partial relief from a full academic course load.

A student who fails to complete the Request for Course Withdrawal form and either discontinues attendance or exceeds the number of absences permitted in a course is not officially withdrawn from the course. Such students may, at the discretion of the instructor, receive a final grade of “F” for the course.

A student who withdraws officially from a course and subsequently registers for the same course a second time will not be permitted to withdraw from that course after the drop/add period except in special circumstances as determined in consultation with the department chair, program director, or college dean with jurisdiction over the student’s major program of study.


A student may audit a course with the written permission of the instructor and the dean of the college that offers the course. Instructors may or may not require auditors to take examinations, complete course assignments, and meet course attendance requirements. Students who audit a course do not receive a grade for the course. The audit symbol “AU” is entered for the registered course on the student’s record. Students cannot convert from audit to credit status, or the reverse, after the designated drop/add period. The audited course may be subject to additional charges based on the student’s total credit load.

Pass/Fail Option

An instructor may designate an elective course as being available as a pass/fail elective for some or all students taking the course. Some required courses, such as a professional orientation course or clinical experience course, may also be designated pass/fail for all students. A student who wishes to take, on a pass/fail basis, a course that has been designated as a “pass/fail election” must make all necessary arrangements with the instructor and submit a Pass/Fail Election form to the Registrar’s Office prior to the end of the drop/add period. After the drop/add period, the election is irrevocable. A student may make only one pass/fail election per semester.

All pass/fail courses will appear on a student’s transcript; for those pass/fail courses a student passes, credits will count toward the minimum number of semester hours required for a degree.

Final grades for courses taken as pass/fail are either “P” (pass) or “F” (failure). The grade of “P” has no assigned quality point value and, therefore, is not included in the calculation of the GPA. The grade “F” carries a point value of zero (0) and is included in the calculation of the GPA. A grade of “F” for a pass/fail course or election is taken into account with respect to the provisions of academic probation and other academic policies.

Repetition of a Course

Students may register for a course taken previously, provided all course eligibility criteria and prerequisites are satisfied. The grades for both the original and all repeated course(s) will appear on the student’s transcript and be counted in the grade point average. Credit toward graduation requirements will be counted only once for the repeated courses with the exception of courses that were given College Council approval to be counted more than once towards major requirements. When a course is failed at this University but successfully completed with a grade of “C” or better at another accredited institution, credit may be granted. However, per the University’s Transfer Credit policy (see above), the repeated off-campus course grade is not computed in the University of the Sciences grade point average and does not appear on the University transcript. The original grade remains on the University transcript.

Grade Replacement

Students eligible for grade replacement are those whose course load, at the time the course was originally taken, consisted of 50% or more of the credits required in the first-year curriculum of their program major. Courses eligible for grade replacement must be repeated (completed) within 12 months of the end of the semester in which the original course was taken. This time frame is suspended for those students on an approved Leave of Absence. The courses eligible for grade replacement must be repeated (completed) before progressing to any other course for which the repeated course is a prerequisite. For example, a student cannot grade replace MA 101 while enrolled in or having completed MA 102. A maximum of two course grades may be replaced. An approved Repeat Course form must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office no later than the last day of the course withdrawal period for the term in which the course is being repeated. If the above criteria are not satisfied, the Repetition of a Course policy (see above) will be applied. When a course is repeated for grade replacement at this University, each course and grade will appear on the transcript and academic record. The data will appear such that one will be able to distinguish a replaced grade from the original. While both grades will appear on the transcript, only the higher of the two course grades will be used in calculating the cumulative grade point average. Credit toward graduation requirements will be counted only once.

Implementation: Summer II (July 2) 2012


Student transcripts are maintained by the Registrar’s Office and are covered by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974, as amended. Students may request that an official copy of their transcript be sent to a third party (e.g., another college/university or an employer); an unofficial copy may be requested for the student’s personal use. An official transcript carries an authorized signature as well as the seal of University of the Sciences.

All requests for transcripts must be made in writing and signed by the student. There is a charge for each official transcript ($6 as of 2004), which is subject to change. Unofficial transcripts are free to students. University of the Sciences does not release transcripts unless tuition, fees, and other obligations due the University have been satisfied.

Students may view their official course grades and GPA information for each semester online through WebAdvisor after faculty members have submitted grades for the semester. Grades are not mailed to students.

Taking and Completing Courses

  ^ TOP

Attendance Regulations

There are certain kinds of information and certain intangible values gained by attendance in classes that are not capable of being measured by examinations and which a student will lack as a result of excessive absence. Accordingly, attendance in all classes is strongly encouraged. University-wide attendance regulations are listed below; additional requirements for attendance are determined by course instructors and will be included in the course syllabus.

  • Attendance is required in laboratory classes. For absences from laboratory classes, penalties and makeup procedures are at the discretion of the instructor and department. A fee may apply.
  • Attendance may be required in non-laboratory classes at the discretion of the instructor.
  • Attendance is required in all clinical rotations.

Absence from Laboratory Classes

Students are required to make up all laboratory classes from which they have been absent, regardless of the reasons for such absence. The laboratory classes will be made up at a time designated by the instructor, and the student must pay a $25 fee to the cashier’s office for each such laboratory makeup. Prior to allowing the makeup laboratory, the instructor will require a cashier’s receipt from the student as evidence of payment of this fee. Students who do not make up laboratory classes they have missed will receive a grade of “Incomplete.” Failure to remedy the Incomplete within 42 days will result in the grade of “F.” (See Incomplete Policy.)

Absence Due to Athletic Contests

The University maintains that students have the responsibility to attend classes regularly so as not to jeopardize their understanding of the material. The University also recognizes that athletes who compete in varsity sports on behalf of the institution provide recognition and value to the University community. In order for athletes to meet the requirements for contractually obligated athletic contests with other institutions, under NCAA Division II standards, they are afforded class release time. To obtain release time, athletes must provide the course instructor with written notification prior to the competition date. The course instructor has the right to require documentation (e.g., competition schedule, letter from the athletic director) before release time is granted.

The athletic director is available to answer questions and assist in the coordination and implementation of this policy.

Absence Due to Religious Observations

The University of the Sciences appreciates the religious and spiritual diversity of our campus community, and recognizes that upon specific occasions, reasonable efforts should be made to accommodate the religious observances of faculty, students, and staff.

University policy grants students excused absences from class for observance of religious holy days, unless the accommodation would create an undue hardship for the instructor. Faculty are asked to be responsive to requests when students contact them IN ADVANCE to request such an excused absence. Students are responsible for completing out-of-class assignments and assessments due during their absence, but should be given an opportunity to make up in-class assignments and assessments missed because of religious observance. (For the purposes of this policy, the term “in-class” means any regularly scheduled instructional time including the Tuesday 1-3 exam period, final exam and “out-of-class” includes any time during the semester that occurs outside of scheduled instructional time.)

Once a student has registered for a class, the student is expected to examine the course syllabus for potential conflicts with holy days and to notify the instructor (by the end of the third week of classes for assignments and assessments during the first 14 weeks of instruction and by the end of the eighth week of instruction for final exams) of any conflicts that may require an absence (including any required additional preparation/travel time). The student is also expected to remind the faculty member in advance of the missed class or assessment, and to make arrangements in advance (with the faculty member) to make up any missed assignments or assessments within a reasonable amount of time.

Faculty should keep in mind that religion is a deeply personal and private matter and should make every attempt to respect the privacy of the student when making accommodations.

If a student and course instructor cannot agree on an accommodation, the student may bring the matter to the teaching department chair for a decision prior to the missed class.

Absence from and Makeup of Examinations

  • Each instructor must include his/her makeup examination policy in his/her course syllabus. It is the discretion of the instructor to decide which makeup reasons are valid and when the makeup examination or assessment will take place.
  • Post-semester makeup examination policy: As during final examinations, students with more than 3 post-semester makeup examinations scheduled within a 24-hour time period who desire a different time and date for one or more than one of the makeup examinations must contact the faculty administering the examination(s) at least one week prior to the makeup examination date to request an alternative date and time.
  • Faculty members are to schedule post-semester makeup examinations as per other examinations by requesting a room for a specific date and time. Faculty should place such a policy in their syllabus, which could include a date and time of examination if confirmed by the Registrar’s Office. Faculty must provide their own proctor and examination copies/examination directions should be given directly to the proctor.
  • Post-semester makeup examination rooms will not be scheduled during finals week.
  • Faculty members are encouraged to utilize graduate students enrolled in programs administered in their college as proctors for their examinations. Colleges/programs without graduate students should contact the College of Graduate Studies for a list of potential proctors. Departments are encouraged to utilize group dates/times and common proctors.
  • Incomplete grades must still be finalized within 42 calendar days of the end of the semester.

Implementation: fall 2010

Rules Governing Examinations and Graded Assessments

Rules governing the administration of examinations and graded assessments, as well as policies related thereto, are determined by course instructors, must include the elements below, and will be included in the course syllabus. For the purposes of this policy the term “graded assessment” includes examinations and other activities where students are assessed.

  • Graded Assessment Procedures (for in-class assessments or assessments occurring within the University Out-of-Class Examination Times):
    The course coordinator/course instructor or their designee who is able to make decisions regarding the graded assessment must be present at all examinations and must be free to move among rooms in multiroom examinations, and be accessible to students with assessment accommodations during the assessment exam period. The course coordinator/course instructor will inform the students of their designee’s name prior to the examination.
  • Graded Assessment Disruptions (for in-class assessments or assessments occurring within the University Out-of-Class Examination Times):
    If an unexpected disruption occurs during a graded class assessment and students are asked by the instructor or proctor to leave the room, academic dishonesty Prohibited Conduct rules of the University remain in effect until such time as the instructor or proctor says otherwise. The instructor reserves the right to determine grading or nullification of the assessment that has been unexpectedly disrupted.
  • Course Materials:
    Graded assessments that are not returned to students will be available from the instructor, course coordinator, or department chair for student review for 45 calendar days starting the next day following the end of the term.

    For off-cycle and condensed courses, graded assessments that are not returned to students will be available from the instructor, course coordinator, or department chair for student review for 45 calendar days following the final date for that course.

Implementation: fall semester 2012

Student Participation in Experiential Education

Students and the University must satisfy certain requirements imposed by training sites as a condition of student participation in experiential education. Additionally, prior to being permitted to begin or continue rotations at off-campus training sites, students may be required to:

  • Provide a Social Security number.
  • Provide a medical history including immunity to infectious diseases by documented history of infectious diseases (e.g., measles, rubella, hepatitis B) or vaccination including titers for certain agents.
  • Have a negative PPD or chest x-ray if indicated.
  • Complete a physical examination.
  • Submit to a criminal background check with disclosure to site of any convictions consistent with their criteria.
  • Submit to a drug screen with disclosure to site of any positive findings for drugs that are taken without medical supervision.
  • Provide evidence of and maintain personal medical insurance coverage at all times while at off-campus training sites.
  • Provide First Aid, CPR, and other clinical training certifications as required by site.

Depending on the requirements of the affiliation agreement between the site and the University, the documentation requested may be coordinated by or at the training site or facilitated by the University using campus-based programs or by an external agency. In all cases, the student is ultimately responsible for ensuring the requirements have been satisfied.

Doctor of pharmacy students are expected to agree and comply with the conditions of the Pharmacy Practice Professionalism Agreement during pharmacy practice experiential coursework. A student unable to comply with the agreement may be removed from a rotation, may fail a rotation, or may be administratively withdrawn from the doctor of pharmacy program.