This program of advanced study is designed to prepare the student for productive careers in research and development in the pharmaceutical industry and related fields and for teaching and research in academia.
The student acquires a comprehensive background in the theoretical and laboratory aspects of a discipline within pharmaceutical sciences. The disciplines include medicinal chemistry (offered through the Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry), pharmacology and toxicology, and pharmaceutics. The PhD, MS, and MS (non-thesis) are offered depending on program. A new MS program in industrial pharmacy is being developed.
At completion of the MS or PhD in any of the department’s programs, every student will be able to carry out the following in the field of study:
- Conduct experiments using standard written laboratory protocols.
- Analyze and interpret data from experiments and publications.
- Design experiments to investigate a question.
- Present laboratory findings orally as in seminar format and in writing as in a manuscript for publication.
- As applicable, defend thesis or dissertation in a public forum.